|Title:||Accountant I (Contract)|
|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
|Zip/Postal Code:||L6J 2X1|
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: 15 MONTHS
This position reports to Accounting Manager or Senior Manager. Responsibilities would include financial close activities, analyzing and reconciling balance sheet accounts, accounting for fixed assets with a moderate level of difficulty and complexity. In addition, support for budgets, forecasting and audit (internal and external) is required.
- Actively support and participate in monthly financial close cycle to facilitate the production of timely and accurate financial documents
- Prepare monthly journal entries including but not limited to Bank reconciliations, Accounts receivable, Fixed Assets, and Miscellaneous Prepaid and Liability accounts
- Prepare timely and accurate account reconciliations including but not limited to Bank reconciliations, Accounts receivable, Fixed Assets, and Miscellaneous Prepaid and Liability accounts
ANALYSIS & REPORTING
- Prepare timely and accurate analysis (standard and ad-hoc) for activity ranging from high volume transactional to technical level of moderate difficulty.
- Prepare timely and accurate reports/schedules including but not limited to monthly financial performance and critical metric for local management and corporate consolidation
INTERNAL AUDIT & EXTERNAL AUDIT
- Provide support for external and internal audits including but not limited to documentation requests and related information requests
- Facilitate process walkthrough with internal and/or external auditors
- Support and execute processes aligned with internal control and GAAP standards.
BUDGETING & FORECASTING
- Support the budgeting and forecasting cycles including but not limited to information collection, input with occasional consolidation and supporting analytics
- Support Regulatory filings possibly including but not limited to accumulation of data requests and providing input for filings required for appropriate responses to gov’t agency requests.
- Timely and accurate recording of high volume transactions including but not limited to Fixed asset/Plant assets additions and retirements, Treasury/Bank activity and/or Revenue.
- Recommend, prepare and review documentation for job related processes and concepts for accuracy and compliance
- Actively participate in the identification and execution of improvement in execution/standard methodology initiatives
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- University – Bachelor degree or equivalent in Accounting and Finance
- 3-5 years of experiences
- Enrolled in CPA seen as an asset
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Collaborative environment with a genuine flexible working policy
- Share purchase/match plan
- Defined Contribution savings plan
- Free refreshments
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role, and are not certain you meet the all the qualification requirements, we encourage you to apply to further investigate the opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honor this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition Team.