|Department:||Accounting & Finance & Audit|
|Zip/Postal Code:||L6J 2X1|
Our vision is to be the utility company most admired by customers, communities and investors for our people, passion and performance.
The Accountant II is responsible for working closely with the Accounting Manager, corporate office and US Affiliate finance team members. Primary objectives of the Intermediate Accountant are to support the Accounting department process to ensure the integrity, reliability and accuracy of financial information. To develop and enforce a strong internal control environment, including clear documentation, SOX compliance, and the continuous improvement of accounting processes towards industry standard methodologies.
- General accounting and period end activities
- Perform crucial month-end and year-end close activities, including but not limited to journal entries and account analysis
- Responsible for the direct and indirect intercompany billing process for the US regulated utilities and provide all necessary back up and assistance during the process
- Prepare and maintain reconciliations for main balance sheet accounts such as but not limited to Cash, prepaid, accruals, depreciation and bonus true-ups
- Prepare, design and suggest improvements for the monthly and quarterly reporting packages
- Create new capital and expense work orders as requested and maintain work order list
- Participate and/or lead several department projects and take initiatives for business change modifications, upgrades and implementations
- Assist in maintaining policy and procedure documentation for complex financial and accounting issues
- Continuously enhance knowledge on financial systems and processes and to act as the team contact for the US regional offices.
- Proactively support other team members on ad-hoc projects, financial audits and process/productivity improvement initiatives.
Education & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience
- CPA designation is preferred
- Experience with Great Plains, Hyperion and SAP an asset
- Effective verbal and listening communications skills
- Strong analytical and investigative skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work well under pressure and be able to meet strict deadlines
- Willingness and ability to work independently and to effectively prioritize in a fast-paced environment
Algonquin Power & Utilities Corp is a North American diversified generation, transmission and distribution utility with $10+ billion of total assets. (APUC) delivers continuing growth through an expanding pipeline of renewable energy development projects, organic growth within its regulated distribution and transmission businesses, and the pursuit of accretive acquisitions.
The distribution business group (Liberty Utilities) provides rate regulated water, electricity and natural gas utility services to over 750,000+ customers in the United States. The transmission business group invests in rate regulated electric transmission and natural gas pipeline systems in the United States and Canada.
The generation business group (Liberty Power, formerly known as Algonquin Power) owns a portfolio of regulated and long term contracted North American based wind, solar, hydroelectric and thermal powered generating facilities representing more than 1.5+ GW of installed capacity.
What we offer
Collaborative environment with a genuine flexible working policy
Share purchase/match plan
Defined Contribution savings plan
Top Talent Program
Volunteer paid days off
Employee Assistance Program
Free parking, including free electrical charging
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you are excited about this role, and are not certain you meet the all the qualification requirements, we encourage you to apply to further investigate the opportunity.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value each person’s unique background, diversity, experiences, perspectives and talents. Full participation of all employees in a safe, healthy and respectful environment is key to individual and company success. We are committed to fully utilizing the abilities of all of our employees and expect each of our employees to honor this commitment in their daily responsibilities.
As part of our commitment, we work to ensure our application process is accessible to all candidates. If you require special assistance or accommodation during the hiring process, please notify the Talent Acquisition Team.