City of St. Catharines
As the leader in the Accounting Division, the Accounting and Processes Leader is responsible for planning, organizing and executing accounting and finance related activities for the Accounting Division. This role is the lead staff resource for banking, account analysis and year end processes, working papers and financial statements, reserve funds and the associated budgets, technology upgrades related to Accounting, City property leases and assisting other staff departments with their Accounting needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
(These set out the principal functions of the position, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements).
- Lead the Accounting Division team and ensure efficient workflow within the Division.
- Maintain account registers and ensure use of required accounting controls.
- Responsible for balancing and reconciling various accounts.
- Complete financial transactions, including year-end tasks and closing the General Ledger.
- Work with departments to ensure the correct processes are followed.
- Work with external auditors and prepare working papers for year-end audit.
- Prepare documents, billings, vouchers and adjust entries for approval.
- Prepare statements of revenues and expenditures for Departments and functions.
- Provide guidance and advice to staff of other Departments with regards to inquiry and use of the general ledger and other financial systems software.
- Provide guidance to staff to ensure that financial transactions are captured efficiently and accurately as software applications or workflows change.
- Prepare grant subsidy claim submissions and respond to inquiries from Granting Agencies regarding financial aspects of claims.
- Maintain registers and accounting controls with regards to the Corporation’s lease and licence agreements, including calculation of amounts receivable per agreements, billing and collection of accounts, and maintenance of related subledgers.
- Prepare schedules for annual Financial Report, including but not limited to Financial Information Return (FIR).
- Liaise with external auditors to provide requested information, respond to questions, follow-up on audit findings including making required changes in the system.
- Coordinate the completion of monthly accounting routines to ensure timely completion of month end reports.
- Investigate questionable accounting entries and recommend corrective measures.
- Act as a messenger to the City’s bank for deposits, returned cheques and investments, when required.
- Perform other similar and related duties, as required.
- University degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Commerce or a related field.
- Completion of AMCTO Municipal Finance Course.
- Completion of Municipal Finance 101 Course (MFOA), Municipal Accounting and Finance Certificate (AMCTO), and a Professional Accounting Designation considered an asset.
- Minimum of five (5) years accounting experience in a municipal setting.
- Analytical thinking, strong mathematical aptitude, ability to multi-task.
- Ability to meet very tight deadlines and motivate staff to do the same.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Adaptable and able to work with interruptions.
- Ability to work collaboratively and show willingness to work effectively in a team setting.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality and accounting integrity, including a clear understanding of the General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP’s) and Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB) Standards.
- Strong understanding of accounting technology and system integration.
- Ability to make process improvements.
- Proven ability to organize workload under limited supervision and to meet deadlines.
- Expected to handle most situations independently, referring only those that are unique, unprecedented or controversial to Supervisor.
- The ability to communicate effectively both with the public and interdepartmentally.
- A demonstrated commitment to enhancing a safety culture.
CUPE 157 Pay Group 11 – Minimum $75,927 annually; Maximum $87,121 annually
Expected Work Location: City Hall
Expected Hours of Work: Currently Monday – Friday; 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
The City of St. Catharines is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Human Resources Division to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.