Under the direction of the Manager, the Analyst is responsible for the production and analysis of weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual management reporting, forecasting and planning for the LOB.
1.Accounting and Financial Analysis (80%)
- Ensures the accurate and timely completion of the following:
- Monthly, quarterly detailed LOB financial analysis for CM Finance and LFO
- Production of weekly financial estimates and analytical review for CM Finance and LFO
- Production, coordination and analysis with LFO of detailed quarterly forecast, strategy and annual plan
- Preparation, processing and filing of monthly entries within month end close timelines.
- Analysis and understanding of revenue and expense drivers (including variable compensation accruals and cross charges), and regulatory capital (including AA, RWA)
- Ensure proper accounting procedures, adequate internal controls, documentation and completion of audit trails
- Contribute to business process improvement activities. Responsible for recommending approaches to improve the financial processes, reporting design and delivery (including weekly and monthly reporting packages, quarterly forecasts, strategy, annual plan processes)
- Ensure proactive financial analysis of management reporting packages that assist LFO/LOB in making decisions
- Provide assistance to ensure adequate financial controls and supporting information, while satisfying the requirements of corporate governance
- Advise Manager, Capital Markets Finance of any potential risks and opportunities in financial results
- Assist the LFO/LOB in interpretation of accounting policies, risk guidelines and regulatory governance and ensure that new and existing initiatives are in compliance with existing bank and regulatory guidelines.
- Proactively interact with other support groups (CAG, WBPO, Legal, Tax etc) to achieve objectives of improved efficiency and reporting innovations
- Understanding cost drivers and advise LOB of changes and partner with them to achieve cost reductions, service efficiencies and reporting changes
- Advise of any changes in financial statements that may impact future results
- Evaluate changes in Bank policies and systems and possible impact on LOB
Knowledge & Skills
- Enrolled in a professional accounting program (CGA, CMA)
- Finance, Accounting degree or B. Comm
- 3-5 years working experience in a Finance environment
- Advanced analytical and financial acumen
- Good knowledge of GAAP
- Proficiency in MS Office (Excel and Powerpoint)
- Knowledge of bank systems (i.e CODA, Progress, FC)
- Excellent interpersonal skills in order to maintain relationships with LFO/LOB along with good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and prioritization skills in order to efficiently complete multi-intensive or time sensitive assignments
- Expert ability to evaluate processes, identify potential problems and recommend solutions
- Excellent analytical skills in order to discern large amounts of data and determine correct course of action
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Work with minimal supervision
- Sound professional judgement required
Other Information – Optional
- There will be deadline pressures which may require overtime
- Periodic work requirements outside normal working hours (i.e. weekend availability to close the books or sign off of results at quarter end, strategy/plan deadlines).
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Finance and Accounting