Together we’re building a company that will endure and products people will love for generations to come.
We believe that people do their best in a culture that fosters inclusion, innovation, and success. Our values – Champion the Customer, Take the Lead, Run Together, Ack + Own and Bring Yourself – serve as the foundation of our collaborative and dynamic culture.
Whether it’s conducting a retrospective, participating in our bi-annual Hack weeks, cranking out a new product feature, supporting our two PagerDuty bands, or doing our day to day work, Dutonians live and breathe these five values every day. Together, we solve real customer issues and fulfill our mission of connecting teams to real-time opportunities and elevate work to the outcomes that matter.
Solve for what’s next—at PagerDuty.
We are looking for an Engineering Data Science Manager who is passionate about shaping the future of applied machine learning at PagerDuty.
Our Data Science Core team’s mission is to transform how PagerDuty leverages ML and data-driven applications to support incident response, surface operational insights, and improve the lives of our on-call responders through human and machine intelligence.
Our team is leading the way in developing ML-driven features and innovation for our product development teams; and evangelizing the value of data science in helping to solve PagerDuty’s widest and deepest customer problems.
In your role, you will manage, scale, and enable a team of cross-functional applied machine learning scientists; supporting the evolution of our agile data science processes, and building strong relationships across our product development organization to identify new and emerging opportunities for team impact.
- Manage a strong and talented core team of remote and co-located applied data scientists.
- Plan for scale! Manage team resources and own planning for team scaling to meet our growing product and business needs.
- Support connecting the work of the Data Science Core team to our business priorities by leveraging our agile, product development, engineering and design partners.
- Flex your collaboration and leadership skills by working closely with teams across the organization to help identify opportunities for ML impact, and create rich opportunities for the Data Science Core team to educate and socialize ML innovations internally.
- Contribute to and drive best practices in applied machine learning on team, and across the organization
Who You Are
- Innovation driven. You have experience with rapid iteration and prototyping, and have an agile mindset.
- An experienced human and technical manager. You are goal-oriented, people first, and care deeply about building and sustaining an empowered team.
- Collaboration first. You communicate fluently between technical, product, and business worlds to create opportunities, dismantle barriers, and expand impact for your teams.
- Real-world centered. You have delivered real-world machine learning and data applications, and are comfortable planning and managing production-level code and projects.
- Strategically minded. You think of the big picture, and have experience balancing risk, challenging assumptions, and providing direct feedback to keep projects on track and build key collaborations across the business.
- 2+ years managing data science teams
- Experience working in fast paced, growing, scaling software companies
How We Work
PagerDuty Engineering teams are set up to be mini innovation pods. We practice what we preach, and believe that every engineer can build great products to delight our thousands of customers.
Teams are set up to be able to achieve success autonomously while remaining accountable for results. Every team has full vertical ownership of their own services and are able to release as frequently as they want to. We practice the mantra of ‘Code It. Ship It. Own It.’ and believe that teams are most successful when they are able to own every decision in order to run their software. Every team gets to be a part of our growth by building highly resilient and durable software that scales from our startup customers to Fortune 100 companies.
We deploy over 1000 times a month and every engineer is able to ship high quality software to production on their own. Teams own their own tests and yes, we use PagerDuty to manage incidents. Teams own their own way of working and can use the agile practices of their choice to work collaboratively via incremental delivery.
We support engineers to explore ideas via bi annual hack weeks, actively attack our own infrastructure weekly to learn and get better, host an annual internal technical conference called PagerCon, ask our engineers to represent PagerDuty at industry events, and contribute to the open source community.
Each team has a dedicated Engineering Manager, Product Owner, and agile coach to help support our people and teams to be successful. We believe that Management is a separate skill set and have different career paths for our engineers and managers including a full ‘stay technical’ career track.
Competitive salaries and company equity
Comprehensive benefits package including: medical, dental, and vision plans for you, your spouse and family, cell phone allowance and more!
RSP with 1% employer match
Generous parental leave
Paid vacation (3 weeks vacation your first year, 4 weeks afterwards) in addition to 12 paid stat holidays and ample sick leave
Paid employee Volunteer Time – 20 hours per year
Bi-annual company wide hack weeks
Catered lunch daily and plenty of snacks and drinks
Convenient, central Toronto office location, easily accessible by public transportation
PagerDuty is committed to creating a diverse environment and is an equal opportunity employer. PagerDuty does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, parental status, veteran status, or disability status.
PagerDuty is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application process. Should you require accommodation, please email [email protected] and we will work with you to meet your accessibility needs.
Our stewardship of the data of many thousands of customers means that a background check is required to join PagerDuty. We will, nonetheless, consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in a manner consistent with local requirements.