Hotel Controller Position
Casablanca Winery Inn, Grimsby, ON
A portfolio company of The Rosseau Group, The Casablanca Winery Inn. is an established hotel property on the Grimsby Waterfront.
The company is seeking a controller to be accountable for all accounting of the company and ultimately the preparation of financial statements for both internal use and to send to our parent company. We are seeking to fill this role immediately and the incoming hire will have an immediate impact in their new role.
The Controller supervises and directs the financial activities of the hotel, safeguards the assets, and prepares all financial reports in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. He/she reports to the Corporate Controller of The Rosseau Group, and also serves as a financial advisor to Ownership and the Hotel Management team.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (Including, but not limited to):
- Direct preparation of annual budgets and monthly forecasts; establish or recommend to management major economic objectives and policies for Hotel. Strive for continuous improvement and find new efficiencies to processes and enhancing overall profitability.
- Support General Manager and hotel financial goals by direct preparation of monthly and annual reports, summarize and forecast hotel’s revenues, expenses, and earning based on past, present and expected operations.
- Set or review/revise accounting policies annually and as necessary. Advise management of desirable operational adjustments due to tax code revisions.
- Responsible for accurate general ledger and the sub-ledgers balances including asset management, cash flows, oversight for A/P and A/R management, performing internal control activities, calculation of key performance measures, budgeting and financial reporting.
- Reconcile front to the back office applications and oversee POS systems.
- Closely manage cash and controls.
- Oversight of purchasing, inventory management, cost control, and perform periodic inventory counts.
- Maintain external relationships with suppliers, banks, insurance, and other stakeholders outside of the organization. Negotiate and monitor contracts with hotel’s vendors, insurance providers and other key supplier relationships.
- Oversee payroll. Perform/assist in minor human resource management activities.
- Arrange for audits of hotel’s accounts.
- Ensure compliance with reporting and remittances.
- Other special projects as required.
- Oversee one staff member.
- Possess a university degree in accounting and CPA (or equivalent) certification with 3 or more years’ experience.
- Previous experience as a Controller/Director of Finance at a branded or independent full service hotel preferred.
- Possess knowledge of accounting practices and accounting software system.
- Knowledge of Aloha, Five Star, and Sage products an asset.
- Advanced Excel and computer skills.
- Ability to perform bookkeeping functions (preparing cheques, coding and posting invoices, preparing deposits, accounts receivable, payroll processing, etc.)
- Strategic thinker with the ability to multi-task and solve issues.
- Meet deadlines and work independently with little oversight.
- Provide leadership and oversight for the accounting department and related operational functions.
- Strive to ensure customer experience excellence.
Salary is dependent on relevant education, experience, and respo
Job Type: Full-time
- Hotel: 3 years