Analyses Geographic Information Systems (GIS) related business processes, programs, and needs and works with client groups and other GIS staff to define requirements. Processes and administers various divisional spatial datasets and applications related to the Service First Call Centre, Transportation and Environmental Services (TES) and Planning, Housing, and Community Services (PHCS). Coordinates and updates Regional GIS systems, GIS analysis tools, and desktop applications.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Knowledge of business requirement analysis, business practice improvement, GIS software configuration and spatial data structures development, and GIS software application functionality, normally acquired through a 3 year bachelor’s degree or community college diploma in GIS, Computer Science, Geography or related field, plus 3 years related experience.
• Experience with current ESRI GIS technologies. Experience integrating and implementing ESRI ArcGIS/ArcSDE solutions using MS SQL Server database technologies and standards. Experience configuring applications using Geocortex.
• Knowledge of ArcGIS Server.
• Knowledge of current related GIS industry standards and new technologies to provide technical support and troubleshooting, and recommend improvements to existing GIS spatially enabled systems. Ability to define and resolve complex GIS technical problems in a diverse technology environment.
• Research, analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills to investigate, analyze, and evaluate appropriateness of GIS spatial data and related tabular data for use by clients; design business process reviews; translate business and client requirements into technological solutions; and design and coordinate the implementation of automated systems.
• Human relations, communication, facilitation, and presentation skills to relate effectively with and form consultative relationships with clients; explain complex GIS technical information to staff with varying degrees of technical knowledge; present GIS technical training and information seminars in person and through online sessions; participate in various program area, divisional, and departmental meetings; interview users and managers to determine system requirements; make presentations to clients, management, vendors, and ITS staff regarding proposed solutions; and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to prepare written reports, project plans, statements of work, work structure breakdowns, and documentation. Ability to read and comprehend GIS technical manuals, updates, bulletins, periodicals and magazines to keep informed of and communicate technology-related trends and methods.
• Ability to travel to various locations within the Region.
• Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jan 24, 2018 quoting competition number 2017-2147 , or drop off your resume to the Region of Waterloo, Citizen Service Associate desk located on the main floor at 150 Frederick Street, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.