Office CPA Professional Corporation is a fast-growing and evolving cloud-based accounting firm in Toronto. We believe in providing close, personal attention to our clients; the relationship we establish with each client is fundamental to our firm’s operating philosophy. We focus on cloud bookkeeping and accounting services but we also offer a full suite of professional services including assurance (review engagements), tax compliance and advisory services.
We are looking for an experienced accounting professional to support the needs of our diverse and growing client base. This person will assume a hands-on managerial role that is focused on overseeing all aspects of client engagements including coaching and mentoring junior team members and reviewing their work performed, performing work on complex and key areas themself and directly managing client relationships and requests.
This is a unique opening in our recently founded boutique professional services firm as the newly appointed manager will be working directly alongside the partner and founder; a young professional rounding off 14 years of accounting, assurance and tax experience. This position would be the first in the firm at the manager level, supervising a small, but fast-growing team of accountants and bookkeepers. This position will provide the right candidate with a very real opportunity to grow and develop to either an income or equity partner. As the firm grows, we’ll be adding additional staff at both junior and senior levels, in order to maintain a healthy work/life balance for our whole team as we truly believe that human capital, specifically the knowledge, skills and mental health of our people, is our greatest asset.
With guidance from the founding partner, you will be responsible for:
Management and review of Notice to Reader engagements
- Coaching Junior staff in the preparation of year-end accounting entries, NTR financial statements and corporate tax returns, complete top-to-bottom detailed review of these engagement files
- Managing timelines and deliverables associated with bringing in supporting documents from clients, timely preparation of engagement files and meeting tax filing deadlines
- Review of GST/HST returns
Management and review of assurance engagements
- A mix of coaching junior team members, reviewing their work performed and independently performing certain planning and more complex/key areas of review engagement files
- Preparation of full set of ASPE financial statements and notes
- At this time, the firm has decided to maintain no exposure to audit engagements
Other tax compliance and planning
- Review of T1 Individual income tax returns and communication with clients
- Preparation/review of T1 adjustments and other correspondence with CRA
- Assistance with income tax planning including re-organizations and transaction advisory
New client onboarding
As we are a young and fast-growing practice, we are constantly onboarding new clients. The founder requires assistance with:
- Obtaining an understanding of a new client’s existing business and accounting systems including preparing and documenting a custom workflow for bookkeeping processes including the necessary background knowledge related to the various accounting cycles
- Assigning new engagements to bookkeeping staff and monitoring progress
- Preparing custom reporting in QBO and Xero
- Answering support questions from clients
Mandatory skills and requirements
- Minimum 4 to 5 years experience in public accounting with some level of assurance exposure
- CPA or CGA designation (or near-completion)
- Experience with Caseware, Taxprep or CANTAX, QBO, Xero and Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and verbal English communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to liaise with senior client representatives
- Strong organizational and management skills – ability to multi-task and manage deadlines
- While assurance experience is an asset and certainly valued, in-depth tax experience would be considered even more valuable
This is a remote-based position
This position is currently remote based (work-from-home) which can help maximize work-life balance among other benefits. As the dynamic situation with respect to COVID-19 evolves and the ability to congregate in person becomes safe, OfficeCPA may relocate a portion of its staff to an office location in the Vaughan / North York area. In the meantime, the successful candidate should be open to working from home for the foreseeable future.
How to apply:
This position is available to be filled immediately. Interested and qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter.