Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Plant Accountant is responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of financial reporting and analysis to create accurate, insightful financial information and efficient processes to enable our growing organization.
The Plant Accountant is responsible for the timely preparation of periodic financial reports, full accounting support for all aspects of CRM’s operations and interfacing with all levels of operations as necessary. Commitment to customer service excellence, initiative, being a problem seeker as well as problem solver, business acumen and ability to grasp business complexity, are all essential to this role.
The standard office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. Most of the work occurs during regular weekday office hours. However, as an international company with frequent interaction with head office, hours of work involved may vary to accommodate differences in time zones. Flexible hours are required and may include evening and week-end hours.
This job operates in office, food manufacturing and warehouse setting.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, interim and annual financial reports including journal entries and accruals, to ensure accuracy and compliance with IFRS.
- Prepare analysis of actual to budget comparison reporting.
- Assist with the day-to-day accounting operations of the department involving operating processes and procedures, including ERP optimization.
- Maintain organized electronic and hard copy financial files for the company and adhere to internal audit policies. Maintain confidentiality of all data.
- Assist with developing plant performance reports and analysis of actual manufacturing costs.
- Maintain an accurate and complete trail of supporting documentation, and complete and systematic filing system. Each month, ensure all journals have been printed and approved with supporting documentation, and filed appropriately. Each month, ensure all balance sheet account reconciliations have been prepared by the designated employees, and printed and approved, and filed appropriately. Ensure document retention procedures are properly followed.
- Maintain year-end working papers and spreadsheets, and assist with preparation for any audits or independent reviews, with support from the Finance team.
- Exert care and control over assets, record and establish procedures for safeguarding.
- Provide guidance to junior finance department employees as needed.
- Prepare HST filing.
- Support ad hoc projects and assignments as assigned,g. find solution for cheques for deposit from CRA which have wrong payee name.
- Prepare annual Statistics Canada report.
- Administrative duties as needed
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education: Related University degree or College Diploma in Finance or Accounting.
Certification: Obtained or working towards obtaining CPA designation.
- 3+ years of professional accounting experience in a manufacturing environment, food manufacturing experience is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in understanding of GAAP and IFRS preferred
- Working knowledge of inventory and accounting systems
- Experience with enterprise resource planning ERP software such as Yonyou, Oracle PeopleSoft Financials, Infor ERP SyteLine, Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, SAP, NetSuite ERP
- Ability to complete assignments with minimal supervision, and effective writing, presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work against deadlines in a dynamic, growing company
- The flexibility to adapt and roll with changing workflow priorities
- The ability to prioritize and deliver in a deadline-driven environment
- The ability to taxation, coordinate audit, statistic and internal control
Because of the changing nature of work and work to be done, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. The incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required.