- Position Type
- Full Time
IT STARTS HERE.
At MNP we pride ourselves on being different – it’s our entrepreneurial drive that sets us apart. It’s the same drive that’s helped us become Canada’s fastest growing national firm. We foster collaboration, value your ideas, promote based on talent, live balanced lifestyles and make time for FUN. We are one firm, one team, collaborating to support you wherever you want to take your career.
Join the momentum. We are seeking a Senior Accountant for our growing Tax team. Providing the highest level of excellence, MNP is a leading national accounting, tax and business consulting firm in Canada. Our Tax team works with individuals and organizations in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors providing comprehensive strategies that minimize risk, meet tax compliance and reporting requirements, drive efficiencies and maximize returns. Specifically, our Canadian Corporate Tax team reviews and works with all facets of a company’s corporate structure, including executive remuneration and payroll taxes, to help clients meet all of their tax compliance and reporting requirements – both domestic and foreign – through a full range of Canadian corporate tax compliance services.
ROLE @ MNP
- Assist in the completion of Canadian corporate tax engagements involving advice on tax planning opportunities, tax minimization strategies, and compliance issues
- Responsible for the completion of tax engagements by computing taxes owed, preparing corporate tax returns (and other compliance slips), preparing year-end tax forms (T4s/T5s), calculating and reviewing share capital, and ensuring compliance with government standards
- Prepare basic tax reorganizations including engagement planning, the collection of data, the development of step plans and building direct client relationships
- Set up files for new clients and newly incorporated businesses
- Prepare journal entries and provide bookkeeping services as required by clients
- Participate in the review legal documents such as articles of incorporation, purchase agreements and amalgamation agreements
- Correspond with clients and various government agencies to address tax compliance issues
- Prepare correspondence, technical reports, client summaries and presentations outlining findings, facts and highlights resulting from the client engagement
- Investigate and correct discrepancies/ irregularities in financial entries, documents and reports
- Raise identified technical issues with manager or engagement partner
- Update manager or engagement partner on the progress of engagements
- Develop and apply knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act and related legislation
- Develop a thorough understanding of MNP’s services, businesses and industry
- Collaborate with client engagement team prior to commencement of client work to discuss roles and responsibilities, risk areas, materiality and deadlines
- Maintain high quality control by reviewing tax returns and other work done from other team members for accuracy and completeness; provide feedback to team members
- Monitor project timelines against targets, adjust where necessary; advise clients of project status and seek clarification on discrepancies where applicable
- Network and take a leadership role in the local professional, business, and community while raising awareness of MNP and looking for new business development opportunities
- Contribute to the development of new ideas and approaches to improve work processes
- Liaise and correspond professionally with clients, colleagues and the firm leadership team
- Promote regular attendance, balanced lifestyle and high standard of team wellness
- Attend internal MNP courses to further develop accounting and assurance knowledge
Skills and Experience
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce or Business Administration (Accounting and/or Finance major is preferred)
- Completion of Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation or completion of CFE examination and working towards relevant practical experience requirements
- 2 to 4 years of relevant work experience in public accounting or tax
- Experience in the preparation of domestic tax compliance as well as research and documentation of tax issues
- Experience working with, or exposure to, accounting and tax software such as Caseware, Profile, Quickbooks and Simply Accounting is preferred
- Working knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act
- Strong computer literacy including effective working skills of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Some travel may be required
MY REWARDS @ MNP
More than a paycheque, MNP is proud to offer customized rewards for our team members. With a focus on health and wealth, we provide an extensive list of benefits that support our unique culture and foster work-life integration.
Our [email protected] program offers benefits that allow you to thrive at work and outside of the office. Be rewarded with generous paid time off including 4 personal days, firm sponsored social events, a group pension plan with 4% matching contribution, voluntary savings products, bonus program eligibility, a wellness subsidy, health and dental benefits, mental health resources, exclusive access to perks and discounts, professional development assistance, learning opportunities through MNP University, a flexible dress for your day environment and more!