At Equitable Life of Canada, we realize that your work life is not just about performing a job; it’s about being part of a workplace that helps you grow and reach your full potential. Within our friendly and collaborative work environment, we recognize that the key to our growth and success is a dedicated, motivated and customer-responsive staff. Join Equitable Life today.
Reports to: Manager, Individual Financial Reporting
As a Senior Accounting Analyst you will be a critical member of the Individual team and provide support to the Individual Division Financial Accountant, Divisional Controller, SVP, Individual and JLT (Joint Leadership Team). You’ll rely on your intricate knowledge of accounting practices, gained through experience and education, to provide support and organization to the department.
What you’ll do:
- Provide monthly reports that explain trends for key metrics & MIS data for the Individual line of business.
- Assist in the implementation of the new IFRS17 accounting standards including liaising with and providing assistance to IT and Business and Systems Analysts.
- Mapping and documenting accounts across all financial systems and processes (Ingenium, FASAT, VAX and PeopleSoft)
- Support the annual general expense budgets for the Individual line of business, including providing technical assistance.
- Calculation of quarterly bonuses for RSMs and RVPs under tight deadlines to ensure accurate payments.
- Maintain and enforce a policy to manage Marketing Allowance expenses payable to MGAs.
- Oversee the review and processing of expense reports from the Regional Office staff and Head Office staff within the Individual division. Ensure compliance to corporate policy, appropriateness, correct account allocation and proper authorization.
- Provide expense gap calculations, forecasts, trending and analysis for the Individual line of business.
- Work with JLT members, monitor accruals and account balancing in their departments to ensure they are being maintained accurately and prepared in a timely manner.
- Ensure documentation of department procedures for accounting balancing and accruals is prepared and maintained to reduce the risk of knowledge loss.
- Liaise with and provide assistance to JLT to resolve expense, general accounting and budget related problems.
- Prepare general expense budgets for the Regional Office for both the Individual and S&R lines of business (approximately 35 cost centres).
- Review and update the Activity Based Costing allocations for all cost centres in the Individual lines of business.
- Complete quarterly working papers and reconciliations for various accounts
What you’ll need:
- Sound knowledge of accounting practices and procedures acquired through completion of a post-secondary diploma or degree and at least one year’s related experience.
- Completion or working towards a CPA designation preferred.
- Advanced level of Excel and Access skills.
- Advanced knowledge of PeopleSoft.
- Ability to read and interpret IT documentation
- Excellent communication (oral and written), analytical, problem solving, prioritizing, multi-tasking and decision making skills.
To learn more about Equitable Life, we encourage you to explore our organization.
At Equitable Life, we are committed to providing equal access to employment opportunities across our organization. Please contact our HR team at [email protected] if you would like to receive our job postings in an alternative format or require an accommodation with the application process.