Google’s software engineers develop the next-generation technologies that change how billions of users connect, explore, and interact with information and one another. Our products need to handle information at massive scale, and extend well beyond web search. We’re looking for engineers who bring fresh ideas from all areas, including information retrieval, distributed computing, large-scale system design, networking and data storage, security, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, UI design and mobile; the list goes on and is growing every day. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Google’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
As a key member of a small and versatile team, you design, test, deploy and maintain software solutions.
Product and Systems Development
Whether it’s finding new and innovative ways to advance search quality, building computing platform and networking technologies, automating the indexing of videos, or continuing to refine and scale complex auction systems (just to name a few), you will be developing solutions to some of the most challenging technical problems out there. You will research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google’s product offerings and collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information. Examples of specialist domains: UI development with AJAX and similar technologies, security, embedded systems and mobile apps (Android), developer tools (IDEs, large-scale build systems, compilers).
As a software engineer in the Engineering Productivity organization, you’ll use your software design, analysis and programming skills to create innovative automated test systems. This isn’t a job in which you’ll simply debug and run test cases, in fact that only scratches the surface. The test team undertakes a broad range of challenges on a daily basis, designing and building intelligent systems that can explore various use cases and scenarios for distributed computing infrastructure. Just imagine trying to design and build an automated testing system for something that’s never been done before. There are no text books that can help you learn this, which is why we have some of the best engineers working in this group.
Software engineers working in Site Reliability are involved in every facet of Google’s production and work on the cutting edge of cloud- based computing. As a member of this elite team you are in the thick of everything involved with keeping Google running, from code-level troubleshooting of traffic anomalies to maintenance of our most cutting edge services; from monitoring and alerts to building new automation infrastructure. Software engineers on this team love to create robust and scalable software that scale to tens of millions of users. You will take on challenging, novel situations every day, and work with just about every other engineering and operations team to provide services and applications that are quintessentially Google — fast, reliable and accessible to all.
Google is and always will be an engineering company. We hire people with a broad set of technical skills who are ready to take on some of technology’s greatest challenges and make an impact on millions, if not billions, of users. At Google, engineers not only revolutionize search, they routinely work on massive scalability and storage solutions, large-scale applications and entirely new platforms for developers around the world. From AdWords to Chrome, Android to YouTube, Social to Local, Google engineers are changing the world one technological achievement after another.
Specific responsibilities vary by project area. General responsibilities include:
- Develop scripts to automate routine tasks while also reading and reviewing others’ code to provide feedback.
- Analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution to effectively solve problems.
- Mitigate reliability failures in a component or system.
- Create and support a productive and innovative team. This includes working with peers, managers, and teams.
- Take on tasks as requested, following through to completion despite roadblocks or distractions.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience or previous project assignments with Data Structures and Algorithms (i.e. selecting and implementing an algorithm, using data structures to solve a problem.) Experience creating algorithms that improve a product’s capabilities, speed, efficiency, or reliability.
- Experience with data structures, branching, function-calls, and conditionals as well as debugging code and submitting the appropriate fix.
- Graduating from a BS/MS program in Spring/Summer 2018.
- Experience manipulating code to improve system availability and latency; Experience with improving inventing or demonstrating the value of new algorithms that improve a product’s capabilities, speed, efficiency and reliability.
- Skill in isolating problems to a database subsystem.