As a member of the Enterprise Application Solutions team in the IT Division, you will provide systems analysis and computer programming expertise and advice related to application development and sustainment.
The primary responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Perform analysis and design duties as well as computer programming, modelling and scripting, testing, documentation and deployment preparation.
- Coordinate and prepare needs analysis and detailed systems design.
- Conduct user interviews to determine detailed systems requirements.
- Complete analysis, system and functional design, workflow diagrams for quality systems development.
- Design, code, test, implement and maintain enterprise systems.
- Design and develop systems that comply with access and privacy legislation.
- Coordinate and develop program specifications and documentation.
- Design and conduct all levels of testing, i.e., unit, system, integration, regression, performance, security, usability, optimization and configuration, and coordinate user acceptance testing.
- Liaise and coordinate with internal and external consultants in detailed systems deliverables and technical problem resolution.
- Implement enterprise in-house developed, custom and packaged systems and systems changes.
- Test integrated systems to ensure system compatibility and proper functional integration.
- Provide application maintenance and enhancement, including implementation of vendor systems fixes and patches.
- Conduct quality assurance on departmental and external developments.
- Develop systems interfaces between enterprise and divisional systems.
- Perform information and application data conversions.
- Provide development support to users by providing technical assistance and troubleshooting.
- Provide documentation and instruction or training to system users.
- Design and develop application security interfaces to enable clients in controlling and administering access to their systems.
- Provide expertise, advice and technical skills for information and application service delivery.
- Conduct research and evaluation of hardware/software/framework and make recommendations.
- Recommend, present and demonstrate system solutions to City management and corporate business clients.
- Conduct presentations, system demonstrations and system walk-through at project review meetings.
- Participate as a team member in the execution of project plans, providing technical expertise and advice re architecture, development tools, and work effort estimates.
- Coordinate the activities of staff, mentor and recommend training needs.
- Contribute to project charters, statements of work and project plans, project status reports and variance explanations, risk identification and mitigation planning.
- Conduct research, investigate and recommend best practices for information and application services.
- Contribute to post-implementation project reviews.
- Recommend improvements to current methodologies, processes, standards, policies and guidelines.
- Contribute to planning of future system growth and provide detailed work plans.
- Participate in enterprise projects.
- Conduct feasibility studies and contribute to business cases, RFIs, RFPs, RFQs, and technical reports by researching, and participating in, evaluations and recommending solutions.
Your application for the role of Systems Development Specialist (Java Developer) should describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Application design and computer programming using Java Enterprise Edition and Java frameworks (e.g., Struts and Spring), Java APIs, (e.g., REST and JSON).
- SQL and/or Oracle PL/SQL coding techniques to extract, analyze and report upon, information, business trends, insights and metrics from data stored in databases.
- Eliciting, driving and/or developing application requirements to ensure that business needs have been adequately defined and documented, and/or the root cause of the problem accurately stated.
- Writing application architecture documentation using structured systems analysis and design techniques, systems development methodologies and templates.
You must also have:
- Excellent verbal and written communication, problem-solving, leadership, facilitation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong customer service orientation along with a demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team, collaboratively with others in multidisciplinary team environment and work independently, as required.
- Advanced time management and estimation capabilities, and ability to perform several tasks and projects concurrently.
- Ability to develop technology standards, techniques and product specifications.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies and skills to evaluate and recommend new technology for introduction into a complex technical environment.
- Ability to develop project plans, projections and cost/benefit analysis of proposed solutions.
- Service oriented architecture design and development knowledge (e.g., webMethods, Apache Camel, RabbitMQ).
- Ability to develop and maintain database and application design, specifications and operational documentation.
- Ability to develop, maintain and execute both test plans and disaster recovery plans.
- Ability to work flexible hours including days, afternoons, nights and weekends, as required.
- Ability to be on call for support of production systems, as required.
- Ability to travel across various office locations within the City of Toronto, as required.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto’s Accommodation Policy . You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City’s hiring process, i.e., application, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting the job ID # and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.