A successful candidate will:
1) Lead product development focused on natural and synthetic food colours.
2) Lead product development focused on custom vitamin blending.
3) Lead problem solving for customers’ application-specific product challenges.
4) Develop process improvements in manufacturing.
Additionally, the candidate will use their background knowledge and skills to act a technical resource for the salesforce to assist in solving technical questions for prospective and existing customers. The Technical Director will play a key role along with the Sales team to position the natural and synthetic colours and vitamin product lines for the future. The Technical Director will report directly to the General Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Use academic and past work experience to understand the interaction of food colours and how they are used in customer-specific applications.
- Formulate new products from raw materials using a strong understanding of chemistry in the context of competing products, the regulatory framework and customer application requirements.
- Work to continually improve product formulations, e.g. clean label, stability, shelf life.
- Support the sales team with technical guidance as required.
- Run tests and experiments on new products to determine market-readiness and capably present the findings and recommendation in written / presentation format.
- Interpret and keep up-to-date with FDA and Health Canada regulations regarding food colorants.
- Maintain attention to detail and excellent data management skills.
- Collaborate with Lab Technician on production products, quality and sampling programs.
- Collaborate with QA Manager to draft and update R&D and quality control procedures.
- Draft technical materials and specification sheets for products.
- Represent the Company on conference calls with customers and industry associations.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have strong working knowledge with technology platforms including Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Netsuite a definitive benefit.
- Know how to work with powders and liquids and the equipment required for making dispersions.
- Understand GMP procedures and processes.
Qualifications and Skills
- University or College degree in chemistry, biochemistry or food science is desired.
- 5 years of related food and beverage manufacturing experience, a definitive benefit.
- Professional verbal, written and phone communication skills.
- Strong technical experience in the food industry, specific knowledge of food colours, a definitive benefit.
- Positive attitude, a commitment to continuous improvement, and a team player approach to work and problem solving.
- Superior ability to take initiative and self-start to develop new products and respond to customer demands.
Family-owned, positive, business work environment.
Full-time annual salary, health and dental benefits.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $75,000.00 /year
- Kingston, ON
- technical: 5 years